Anti-war song was hit for The Kingston Trio, Peter Paul and Mary and Johnny Rivers
‘Where Have All The Flowers Gone’ Peter Paul and Mary (Live)
While Pete Seeger has yet to chart # 1 for his own performances, he has written many hit songs. Pete Seeger wrote this gentle, anti-war song in 1955.
Please support the effort to give Peter Seeger a # 1 song as he reaches his 93rd year of spreading music and peace in the world.
In 1960 Joe Hickerson added verses and turned into a circular song. First sung by the Kingston Trio then Peter Paul and Mary. Staple folk song sing from the 1960s – everyone could sing or play it and we did. Since then has been covered by Marlene Dietrich, The Searchers, Bobby Darin, Eddy Arnold, U2 for more than 30 covers.
The song reached #21 on the Billboard charts in 1962 for The Kingston Trio. It was part of the first Peter Paul and Mary album and stayed at #1 on the charts for 5 weeks.
‘Where Have All The Flowers Gone’ – The Kingston Trio
Rock and roll singer Johnny Rivers made # 26 on the Billboard charts with his version.
The song has gone around the world and back again, translated in many languages with its universal message.
Pete Seeger was inspired by the Cossack folk song “Tobchu, tovchu, mak” and the lines “Where are the flowers, the girls have plucked them. Where are the girls, they’ve all taken husbands. Where are the men, they’re all in the army.
‘Where Have All The Flowers Gone’ – Pete Seeger, Arlo Guthrie, and his grand son Tao Rodriquez/ Seeger
Help out by celebrating the life of a great American who is a musician for the people of the world -
- Spread the message by sharing this story on social media
- Download the digital download from Amnesty International for $1.29
- Download Forever Young by Pete Seeger from on Amazon.com for $0.99
- Download Pete Seeger’s Forever Young or iTunes for $1.29 – song #17
- Watch the video on YouTube
- Like Pete Seeger’s Facebook Page
- Like Make Pete Seeger # 1 on Facebook
- Like the Facebook page Forever Pete!
- Join the Facebook Group Give Pete Seeger a # 1 hit
- and Feel Good about yourself, your friends and stay forever young.
With background information from Wikipedia.
- 29 April, 2012 @ 10:22 [Current Revision] by Stephen Pate
- 29 April, 2012 @ 10:15 by Stephen Pate